Pet.

Archiving: just ask.
Rating: PG.
Pairing: Akira/Hikaru.
Date Written: August 18, 2005
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of it. Not even Touya’s flaming pink tie.

Notes: teeny little AkiHika ficlet, for [info]nana_rose. :)


"Shindou, you are not buying a dog," Touya says for the tenth time that day, the tenth time Shindou has dragged him past the pet store, where a litter of chow puppies lurks adorably behind the store display window.

"Why not?" Shindou retorts, preparing for the tenth time to march inside, and being restrained once again only by Touya's steady grip on his shoulder.

"You aren't ready for the responsibility," snaps Touya. "You can't feed and water and walk a dog. You can barely feed and water yourself, and besides, you're gone too much."

"That's what you said before," Shindou retorts. "But I can hire a pet-sitter!"

"No, what you'll do is wind up calling me at three in the morning when your dog pees all over your new rug and you don't know how to get the stains out."

"Whatever, Touya," says Shindou, though now he is looking considerably less enthused. "Like I can't handle something like that on my own."

"But you won't," is what Touya starts to say; and then lightning strikes him, right there in the Karuizawa shopping mall.

Because Shindou can handle things by himself; but Shindou won't. Because Shindou won't ever handle anything without Touya.

He lets go of Shindou's jacket, and Shindou turns and sees the look on his face.

"What's with you?" he asks. The tone of his voice suggests there will be no more thoughts of puppies today, but rather an evening of darting, nervous glances over the Go board, and biting, caustic attempts to play the What's Wrong With Touya game.

Touya looks at Shindou's lingering, wary expression, and knows Shindou will get no relief tonight, or ever, because for the first time, Touya knows what's wrong with Touya.

"Let's go home," he says, and notes with the twisting of his stomach that Shindou comes along because he says so, and that neither of them have bothered to separate one home from the other.



__________________________________
~ main ~ about ~ rants ~ nqr ~ livejournal ~ the armchair ~
Fiction: harry potter ~ hikaru no go ~ prince of tennis ~ other fandoms ~ originals ~