Title: Pop Quiz
Archiving: just ask.
Rating: PG
Date: April 2004.
Summary: A lesson in anatomy. And Latin.
Notes: Notes: For Anna, with fond wishes and hopes for good things. With thanks to Orphne for the beta.


Harry Potter often flies in his dreams--just not the way most people do. He flies on his Firebolt, and occasionally his subconscious plays out the best Quidditch game of his life. He always beats Malfoy to the Snitch, and wakes up with the afterglow.

Harry never remembers the details--except for once, when the Malfoy in his subconscious is so far behind him in the final dive that instead of actually grabbing for the Snitch, he grabs Harry instead, in a last-ditch effort to keep him from getting to it.

Harry catches the Snitch anyway, wakes up with the vague feeling of euphoria, and the memory of thin fingers encircling his wrist.

Collum.

On the train back to Hogwarts, on the first day of his sixth year, Harry decides to get right to the point, so he backs Malfoy against a compartment wall and wraps his hand around Malfoy's throat. He has been rehearsing what he will say to get Malfoy off his back for the rest of the year, so that he will have one less nuisance to worry about. He is nearly a head taller than Malfoy now, which should be enough to give him a thorough advantage, but when his palm makes contact with Malfoy's skin, Harry is unexpectedly forestalled. Malfoy's pulse is racing under his palm. It skitters next to his fingers, and tickles, and before Harry can quite explore the question of when Malfoy's neck became something he didn't want to squeeze, Crabbe and Goyle are back, and Harry is pulling away, defenseless and angry and empty.

Cor cordis.

Harry hasn't seen any evidence that Malfoy has a heart. Not that he's looking.

Coxa.

Whenever they pass in the hallways, Malfoy does his best to jostle Harry. He is scrawny and bony, so if Harry doesn't feel like moving that day, their sides scrape together, and Harry's hip might bruise a little. If that happens, he has the satisfaction of knowing that Malfoy's is bruised a little, too. When he reaches his palm up, his hand connects briefly with the flat plane of Malfoy's hip. He can only do this once, on the excuse of shoving Malfoy away--but it's not bad, really. Just stupid, like the whole thing is to begin with.

Digitus.

Malfoy takes care to give Harry the finger on a regular basis, every day, whether it's in class (they have three together every day now), or in the hallway, or across the courtyard on a sunny day. If Harry hasn't received the finger from Malfoy by dinner, he automatically looks across to Slytherin as he sits down at his table in the Great Hall, because he knows Malfoy will be sneering back, and knows what he will do.

Dorsum.

In the locker room one day, Harry arrives early to practice and discovers Malfoy just finishing getting dressed after flying. He has time to see the pale white of Malfoy's back disappearing beneath a shirt of white silk; time to see that Malfoy is just as long and narrow under his clothes as with them on; time to see that his shoulder blades are sharp, and that the knobs of his spine show, just barely, beneath his skin. He has time to imagine what he doesn't have time to see.

Then Malfoy turns around, sees him, and sneers, and Harry figures he might as well have seen nothing at all.

Frons.

For two days in the fall, Malfoy has a huge welt on his forehead, after a particularly nasty run-in with a doxy in Care of Magical Creatures. Ron complains loudly the entire time about the speediness with which Malfoy was given the antidote, and suggests that waiting another hour or two for just a little venom to settle in couldn't possibly have been all that damaging. Harry doesn't protest, but he finds far more unsettling the fact that Malfoy has a temporary scar in the middle of his forehead where the doxy attacked him. He has no idea why Pomfrey couldn't have healed it, but in two days, it's more or less gone anyway. Still, for two days, Malfoy has to deal with people staring at his forehead, and pointing, and whispering, and laughing.

Harry does his part and smirks at Malfoy whenever possible.

Genuinus.

The first time Malfoy's cheeks redden when Harry smirks at him, Harry thinks he has imagined it. They are outside, after all; it is cold and windy, and students are red-faced all over the place.

There is something different about this, though, so Harry has no choice but to see if it will happen again. And again.

It happens, each time, and Harry starts to wonder if there are other ways to get Malfoy to blush.

Manus.

Malfoy's left hand is just slightly longer than his right. Harry figured this out one day after sneaking out to the pitch in his invisibility cloak, and watching Malfoy during Quidditch practice. When he goes for the Snitch with his left hand, he has a much better reach, and a much better chance of catching the Snitch--but of course Harry, who knows Malfoy favors his right side, is not going to tell him this. When he stands perfectly still, and you aren't trying to notice it, you can see the difference--it is slight, as if he had let his fingernails grow too long on his left hand, but not the right.

Harry would like to think that Malfoy's left side is longer because he was dropped one too many times when he was a baby, even though it's probably something to do with all that in-breeding. When Malfoy walks, he swaggers; and Harry begins to think that part of it is natural, because of the extra length on his left side, and maybe not because he's actually putting it on.

Mentum.

When he is angry, Draco Malfoy's entire body goes taut and rigid, as if Malfoy is trying to make himself taller. His face gets taller too, somehow, because of the arched eyebrows, and the concave cheeks, and the unconscious pout.

The result is that when he is angry at Harry, Draco Malfoy's pointed chin juts out even further, and Harry Potter's urge to hit it becomes even harder to resist.

Os.

And then there is his mouth, which is another story altogether.

Pulmo.

As it turns out, the hardest part is remembering to breathe.

Sura.

When Harry is not fighting Malfoy, he likes to kiss Malfoy; and when he is not kissing Malfoy, he does other things to him.

Malfoy goes crazy whenever Harry runs his hand over the back of Malfoy's leg, so it's only natural that Harry spends a lot of time there. He nurses the smooth skin just below the knee-joint, makes him lie face down so he can massage and stroke and taste the sheen of sweat forming on Malfoy's calves. Malfoy is supple and suppliant, bending wherever Harry wants, responding whenever Harry wants. It is too easy sometimes, like pulling the strings of a puppet. But he loves it, and Malfoy loves it--and this is the only easy part there is anyway.

Talus.

Harry fractures his ankle when a bludger hits it in Quidditch practice, and what he isn't expecting is that Malfoy sneaks up to the Infirmary that night. Harry has been taking unpleasant amounts of Skele-Gro, and his ankle is in a cast, so he isn't expecting Malfoy to stay, either; but Malfoy stays, and talks to him until they both fall asleep, and the next morning when Pomfrey comes and finds Malfoy passed out in the chair next to Harry's bed, she gives Harry a clean bill of health and lets them leave together.

Harry suspects he still tastes like Skele-Gro, but in the hallway, Malfoy kisses him anyway, and Harry likes that.

Harry likes that a lot.

Umerus.

The first time Malfoy tells Harry that he loves him, it slips out, and Malfoy looks horrified. Harry isn't, though, and winds up letting Malfoy wrap his arms around him, as if he would like to squeeze him into loving back, even though Harry could tell him it isn't really necessary. They stay like that an awfully long time, and the next thing Harry knows, he is waking up with a terrible crick, and red skin where Draco's arms have tightened around him in his sleep. It is clammy and hot and sticky, but good, and Harry doesn't mind it one bit.

He figures being able to turn his head from side to side isn't all that important anyway.

****

"Wow, Harry," Hermione comments after they are handed the results to their latest quiz in Introductory Latin. "You did really well on the anatomy part."

"Yeah," replies Harry, thinking about it. "I spent a lot of time looking at the study guide."

Well. Technically, he did.



__________________________________
~ main ~ about ~ rants ~ nqr ~ livejournal ~ the armchair ~
Fiction: harry potter ~ hikaru no go ~ prince of tennis ~ other fandoms ~ originals ~